The Ancestry of Pieter Johannes Jordaan
1. Pieter Johannes JORDAAN b. 28 May 1846, Cradock, Cape, RSA, m. (1) 6 May 1867, in Queenstown, Cape, RSA, Aletta Sophia PRETORIUS, d. 10 Mar 1876, m. (2) 24 Jul 1876, in Queenstown, Cape, RSA, Cibella Wilhelmina VAN STRAATEN, b. 28 Aug 1852, Hekpoort, near Queenstown, Cape, RSA.
3. Elizabeth Helena VAN HEERDEN b. 26 Sep 1803.
5. Elisabeth Catharina BOTHA b. 1787, Worcester, Cape, RSA, d. 2 Sep 1845.
6. Pieter Schalk VAN HEERDEN m. 18 Oct 1801, in Cape Town, Cape, RSA, Anna Hendrina KRUGEL, b. 1 Nov 1782, d. 1808. Pieter died 1814.
7. Anna Hendrina KRUGEL b. 1 Nov 1782, d. 1808.
9. Elsie VAN DER MERWE christ. 11 Dec 1746.
10. Rudolf Philippus BOTHA b. 1764, m. 3 Jan 1787, in Tulbagh, Cape, RSA, Maria Petronella OPPERMAN, christ. 8 Jan 1758.
11. Maria Petronella OPPERMAN christ. 8 Jan 1758.
12. Pieter Willem VAN HEERDEN m. 14 Mar 1751, Anna Sophia VAN DER MERWE, d. 1774.
13. Anna Sophia VAN DER MERWE d. 1774.
14. Andries Hendrik KRUGEL and Petronella PRINSLOO, m. 18 Jul 1779, Maria Elizabeth OOSTHUIZEN.
15. Maria Elizabeth OOSTHUIZEN.
17. Susanna JORDAAN b. 1703.
18. Gerrit VAN DER MERWE m. 28 May 1741, Jacoba VAN HEERDEN, christ. 19 May 1720.
19. Jacoba VAN HEERDEN also known as: Jabje christ. 19 May 1720.
20. Philippus Rudolphus BOTHA and Elisabeth DU PREEZ, d. 7 Jun 1779. Philippus died Nov 1825, Somerset East, Cape, RSA.
21. Elisabeth DU PREEZ d. 7 Jun 1779.
22. Godlieb Rudolphus OPPERMAN m. 15 Oct 1752, Maria Petronella BOCKELENBERG. Godlieb died 1781.
23. Maria Petronella BOCKELENBERG.
24. Willem VAN HEERDEN christ. 22 Oct 1709, m. 30 Apr 1730, Martha VAN DER MERWE, christ. 14 May 1713. Willem died 1767.
25. Martha VAN DER MERWE christ. 14 May 1713.
26. Izaak VAN DER MERWE b. 14 Apr 1711, m. 19 Apr 1732, Cicilia VAN RENSBURG.
27. Cicilia VAN RENSBURG.
28. Johannes KRUGEL m. 22 Jan 1747, Helena Catharina BECK.
29. Helena Catharina BECK.
30. Johannes OOSTHUIZEN m. 29 Apr 1759, Maria Anna COETZER.
31. Maria Anna COETZER.
33. Isabeau LONGUE b. 1668, d. 1736. She came from La Motte d'Aigues.
Jordaan, originally Jourdan, derived from Jourdain, the French name of the River Jordan in Palestine. After the crusades it became a popular first name in France, and it is from these that many surnames developed.
The progenitors of this family in South Africa were two brothers, Jean Jourdan from Cabrieres-d'Aigues, France. Born in 1660, arrived here in 1688 aboard the ship "Berg China," with his brother Pierre and his mother, the widow Jeanne Marthe Jourdan, born c 1628.
Jean was later the owner of the farm "La Motte" in Franschhoek, (La Motte was a village close to the town of Cabrieres). He died before January 1699, and was married to Isabeau or Elisabeth le Long and they had four children.
34. Pierre JOURDAN b. 1664, occupation Farmer, m. 1696, Anna FOUCHER, b. 14 Nov 1681, France, d. 1713. Pierre died 28 Oct 1723.
35. Anna FOUCHER b. 14 Nov 1681, France, d. 1713.
Pierre, the brother of Jean above, was later the owner of the farm "Cabriere". He died on the 28 October 1723 and married Anna.Fouche, who died in 1713. He remarried Maria Verdeau, daughter of Hercule Verdeau and they had 6 children
36. Schalk VAN DER MERWE christ. 13 Aug 1673, m. 1696, Anna PREVOT, b. 1681, Mark, Picardie, France. Schalk died 1740.
37. Anna PREVOT b. 1681, Mark, Picardie, France.
38. Pieter Willems VAN HEERDEN b. c1681, Heerde, Gelderland, occupation Farmer, m. 18 Sep 1708, in Cape Town, Cape, RSA, Magtilt VAN DER MERWE, d. 1765. Pieter died 1763, Tulbagh, Cape, RSA.
39. Magtilt VAN DER MERWE d. 1765.
He arrived in South Africa in April 1701 aboard the ship "Popkensburgh." He was one of the first farmers in the "Land van Waveren."
40. Theunis BOTHA occupation Farmer, m. 15 Dec 1710, Maria Magdalena SNYMAN.
41. Maria Magdalena SNYMAN.
Theunis lived from 7th September 1714 on the farm "Eendracht Over de Breede Rivier," later "Waaikraal." He was a deacon of the Drakenstein congregation, district councillor for Stellenbosch an he was involved in Stellenbosch militia.
42. Philippe DU PREEZ b. 1705, occupation Farmer, m. 9 Mar 1727, Isabella POTGIETER. Philippe died 1765. He settled on the farm "Grootvadersbosch," presently known as "Goede Hoop" in the Heidelberg District, Cape.
43. Isabella POTGIETER.
44. Godlieb Christia(a)n OPPERMAN b. 1696, m. 6 Feb 1729, Maria KOSTER. Godlieb died 1737.
45. Maria KOSTER.
He came from Krossen on the Oder. He was a soldier in 1725, asisstant in 1727 and the manager of a branch of the brewery from 1729.
46. Daniel BOCKELENBERG b. 1707, m. 25 May 1732, Isabeau LORET, b. 1713.
47. Isabeau LORET b. 1713.
48. Pieter Willems VAN HEERDEN (same person as No. 38 above) b. c1681, Heerde, Gelderland, occupation Farmer, m. 18 Sep 1708, in Cape Town, Cape, RSA, Magtilt VAN DER MERWE, d. 1765. Pieter died 1763, Tulbagh, Cape, RSA.
49. Magtilt VAN DER MERWE (same person as No. 39 above) d. 1765.
50. Schalk VAN DER MERWE (same person as No. 38 above) christ. 13 Aug 1673, m. 1696, Anna PREVOT, b. 1681, Mark, Picardie, France. Schalk died 1740.
51. Anna PREVOT (same person as No. 39 above) b. 1681, Mark, Picardie, France.
52. Schalk VAN DER MERWE (same person as No. 38 above) christ. 13 Aug 1673, m. 1696, Anna PREVOT, b. 1681, Mark, Picardie, France. Schalk died 1740.
53. Anna PREVOT (same person as No. 39 above) b. 1681, Mark, Picardie, France.
54. Nicolaas JANSE VAN RENSBERG m. 14 Aug 1708, Aletta VAN DER MERWE.
55. Aletta VAN DER MERWE.
56. Matthys (Matthias) KRUGEL b. Neurenberg, and Elisabeth VAN STADEN. Matthys died 9 Jan 1731, Stellengift?.
57. Elisabeth VAN STADEN.
He was a soldier at the Cape from 1703, citizen in 1708, district councillor in 1715, lived at Simonsvlei and later at Stellengift
58. Johannes Zacharias BECK occupation Soldier, and Elsje VAN AS. Arrived in 1715 as a soldier on the "Mossel." Citizen in 1722.
59. Elsje VAN AS.
60. Jan Hendrik OOSTHUIZEN m. 23 Oct 1735, Anna BOTHA.
61. Anna BOTHA.
62. Joahannes Jacobus COETZER m. 15 Feb 1739, Maria BOTHA.
63. Maria BOTHA.
65. Jeane Marthe b. 1627, d. 1688, Aboard the "Berg China". She came from Saint-Martin de la Brasque, Provence, France.
66. Louis Le Long m. Marie Baignoulx.
67. Marie Baignoulx.
68. Pierre JOURDAN (same person as No. 64 above) and Jeane Marthe, b. 1627, d. 1688, Aboard the "Berg China".
69. Jeane Marthe (same person as No. 65 above) b. 1627, d. 1688, Aboard the "Berg China".
70. Philippe FOUCHER b. 1656, m. 7 Jun 1677, in Mer, Orleanais, France, Anne SOUCHAY, d. bef. 1708. Philippe died bef. 4 Dec 1708.
71. Anne SOUCHAY d. after 1708.
Fouche meaning one from the Army
The progenitor of the family Fouche in South Africa was Philippe Foucher who came from Suévres, which was near Ménars in the Loire Valley in France. Philippe was the son of the farmer Bernard Foucher who was born in 1617 and who died in 1674, from the farm "La Bruslée" which was near Suévres, and his wife Anne Bruére.
Philippe married on the 7 June 1677 at Scoffier, France with Anna Souchay, daughter of Paul Souchay and Anne Paillevert from Aunay, and they had four children.
He and his family arrived at the Cape in 1688 aboard the "Voorschoten," as French refugees and settled on the farm, "De Wilde Paardenjacht" east of the Berg River in Drakenstein, in 1699.
72. Willem Schalk VAN DER MERWE m. 9 Sep 1668, Elsje CLOETE, b. Europe. Willem died 12 Jul 1716.
73. Elsje CLOETE b. Europe.
The name van der Merwe comes from the Merwede or Merwe river in Holland which flows near Dordrecht. There was a castle on the banks of the river with the same name, which is in ruins today.
According to the registers of the Cape Church, William Schalksz(oon) van der Merwe, the progenitor of the van der Merwe family in South Africa, came from "Oud-Beyerland" (between Rotterdam and Dordrecht in Holland), and according to the resolutions of the political council, he was from Broek.
He was a son of Schalk van de(r) Merwe, a farmer in Oud Beyerland and a grandson of Willem van de(r) Merwe, from whom the existing Van Der Merwe family in Holland is descended.
He arrived in South Africa as a arquebusier on the ship "Dordrecht," becoming a citizen on the 5th May 1661, only nine years after the arrival of Jan van Riebeck. He rejoined the Duch East India Company in 1663 as a midshipman, charged with agriculture; afterwards a "vrykneg" who obtained leave from the Dutch East India Company on 23 March 1677 together with Pieter van der Westhuizen, to go and farm some land in Houtbaai. (The farm "Kronendal").
This agreement was cancelled in 1681 and the farm became a free property of Willem.
The farm de Hoop in Klein Drakenstein which was given to his son Schalk Willem in 1692 was thus the second farm in the van der Merwe family.
Willem Schalk van der Merwe married Elsje Cloete, the daughter of Jacob Cloete on 9 September 1668 and they had 13 children.
74. Charles PREVOST b. 1650, m. 9 Oct 1673, Marie LE FEVRE, b. 1651, d. 1701. Charles died ?? Jul 1688.
75. Marie LE FEVRE b. 1651, d. 1701. She is recorded as coming from Marcq, close to Calais, France. She married three times, first to Charles Prevost, second to Heinrich Eckhoff from Essen, Germany and third to Louis de Peronne.
He arrived in 1688 from Amsterdam aboard the ship "De Schelde," with his wife and three children. He is recorded as being from Dombrie, close to Calais in France. The family lived in Marcq after his marriage. He was in Dunkirk in 1673 as a Master Wagon Builder. A member of the Guines congregation.
78. Willem Schalk VAN DER MERWE (same person as No. 72 above) m. 9 Sep 1668, Elsje CLOETE, b. Europe. Willem died 12 Jul 1716.
79. Elsje CLOETE (same person as No. 73 above) b. Europe.
80. Friederich BOTH b. 4 Mar 1653, Wangenheim, Gotha, Germany, m. 21 Jun 1717, in Stellenbosch, Cape, RSA, Maria KICKERS.
81. Maria KICKERS. She was an orphan from Holland and divorced wife of Jan Cornelisz.
He arrived in the Cape from Wangenheim near Gotha, Germany as a soldier in 1678. Five years later he achieved citizens rights. From 1686 he farmed for Jan Cornelisz. In 1692 he signed his name as Both but in 1699 signed as Botha. In the tax rolls the spelling appears as Both, Boot and Botha. It appears, when one considers that a person was often named for the place he came from, Friederich Both from Gotha became Friederich Botha. He is the ancestor of all the Botha's living in South Africa today.
82. Christoffel SNYMAN m. bef.1690, Marguerite-Therese DE SAVOYE, b. 1672, Ghent, Flanders, Belgium.
83. Marguerite-Therese DE SAVOYE b. 1672, Ghent, Flanders, Belgium.
84. Philippe DU PRE b. 1681, Courtrai, Flanders, Belgium, occupation Farmer, m. 1698, Isabeau PREVOT, b. ?? Nov 1683, Marcq, Lille Nord, France, d. 18 Jan 1750, Tulbagh, Cape, RSA. Philippe died 1722.
85. Isabeau PREVOT b. ?? Nov 1683, Marcq, Lille Nord, France, d. 18 Jan 1750, Tulbagh, Cape, RSA.
He arrived with his parents aboard the ship "Schelde," in 1688. He subsequently owned the farm "Klipvallei," in Waggenmakersvallei, present day Wellington. He moved in 1714 to Rooderzand where he owned the farms, "Artois" and "De Hoop."
86. Johannes POTGIETER m. 24 Jul 1712, Clara HERBST or HARST, d. bef.1714.
87. Clara HERBST or HARST d. bef. 1714.
88. Johann August OPPERMAN and Anna Maria GILL.
89. Anna Maria GILL.
90. Heinrich KOSTER and Firkje EVERTS. He came from Minden in Prussia and became a citizen of Stellenbosch.
91. Firkje EVERTS.
92. Johannes BOCKELENBERG b. 1668, occupation Doctor & Surgeon, m. 12 Oct 1705, Johanna VAN DEN BOSCH, b. 1690. Johannes died 1709.
93. Johanna VAN DEN BOSCH b. 1690.
He arrived in Batavia in 1693 as a soldier in the service of the Dutch East India Company. In 1697 he went to Mauritius as chief surgeon. In 1704 he received citizens rights, arriving in the Cape in 1705 and became a doctor in Stellenbosch. He came from Kolberg, Prussia, currently Kolobrzeg, Poland.
94. Guillaume LOREE b. 1671, occupation Farmer, m. 1709, Isabeau JOUBERT, b. 1692. Guillaume died 5 Jan 1718.
|He came from Nantes in Brittany and settled on the farm "Nantes" near Paarl, arriving in 1695. He was deacon in the Drakenstein church congregation and was appointed councillor for Stellenbosch and Drakenstein in 1715. The family name LORET died out in South Africa in the next generation.|
95. Isabeau JOUBERT b. 1692.
112. Unknown KRUGEL and Margaretha SLAKKERNEUGT.
113. Margaretha SLAKKERNEUGT.
114. Maarten VAN STAADEN
|He came from Haarlem arriving before 1686 with his wife and six children.|
117. Veronica Dorothea RODERN d. 1738, buried: 19 Mar 1738.
118. Jacobus VAN AS and Helena VAN DER MERWE.
119. Helena VAN DER MERWE.
120. Johannes OOSTHUYZEN and Johanna MAARTENS.
121. Johanna MAARTENS.
122. Willem BOTHA b. 1687, m. 14 Jul 1709, in Cape Town, Cape, RSA, Catharina PYL, b. 1692.
123. Catharina PYL b. 1692.
124. Jacob KUTZER.
126. Johannes BOTHA m. 18 May 1721, Anna VAN DER MERWE, b. 20 May 1704.
127. Anna VAN DER MERWE b. 20 May 1704.
141. Anne BRUERE.
142. Paul SOUCHAY and Anne PAILLEVERT.
143. Anne PAILLEVERT.
146. Jacob CLOETE and Fytje (Sophia) RADEROOTJES, d. 1665. Jacob died 23 May 1693.
147. Fytje (Sophia) RADEROOTJES d. 1665. She also came from Keulen.
Cloete comes from the male forename of Klute or Kloot which is a deritive of Chludio or Chlodowig. His sons spelled the surname variously as Kloete, Kloote and Kloeten.
Jacob Cloete from Keulen, Germany, apparently came to the Cape in 1652. He was one of the first citizens from the 10th August 1657, getting a farm on the Liesbeek river on the 10th October 1657. In 1671 he returned to Europe but returned to the Cape later as a corporal. He was murdered, being cold bloodedly stabbed to death not far from the castle by deserters.
He was married to Fytje or Sophia Raderootjes from "Uts in 't land van Keulen." They had 4 children.
148. Henri PREVOST and Jeanne de FIEF.
149. Jeanne de FIEF.
150. David LE FEVRE and Elisabeth LE BLEU.
151. Elisabeth LE BLEU.
160. Michael BOTH and Susanna SAULUS.
161. Susanna SAULUS.
164. Anthony from Bengal died 1683.
166. Jacques DE SAVOYE b. 1636, Ath, Henegouwe, Spanish Netherlands, occupation Businessman & Farmer, m. (1) 1665, Christine DU PONT, d. bef. 1686, Europe, m. (2) 1686, in Sas van Gent, Zeeland, Netherlands, Maria Madelaine LE CLERQ. Jacques died 1717.
167. Christine DU PONT d. bef. 1686, Europe.
He came out to the Cape in 1688 aboard the "Oosterland." Farmed "Vrede-en-Lust" near Simondium from 1688 to 1702 when it was sold. The family moved to Cape Town where Jacques started a Commercial enterprise in 1702 and then sold in 1708. He was the District Councillor for Stellenbosch and Drakenstein. He was arrested in 1706 for opposition to the Governor W.A. van der Stel and subsequently released.
168. Hercule DU PRE b. 1645, occupation Tailor, and Cecelia d'ATIS, b. 1650, d. 1720. Hercule died 1695.
169. Cecelia d'ATIS b. 1650, d. 1720.
He was a French Huguenot refugee who arrived in 1688 aboard the ship "Schelde," with his wife and four children. In 1692 he was awarded the farm "De Zoete Inval," near Paarl. He came from Courtrai.
170. Charles PREVOST (same person as No. 74 above) b. 1650, m. 9 Oct 1673, Marie LE FEVRE, b. 1651, d. 1701. Charles died ?? Jul 1688.
171. Marie LE FEVRE (same person as No. 75 above) b. 1651, d. 1701.
172. Harmen Jansen b. 1635, occupation Builder & Smith, m. 8 May 1672, Isabella (Beeltje) FREDERIKS.
173. Isabella (Beeltje) FREDERIKS. She came from Amsterdam, the widow of Nikolaus Vechtman from Merano in South- Tirol.
Harmen Jansen, known as Harment Jansz Potgieter from Nordhorn in Westphalia Builder in 1665, later a smith at Stellenbosch.
174. Johann HERBST or HARST and Liesbet SANDERS van die Kaap, Johann died bef.1728.
175. Liesbet SANDERS van die Kaap was the slave of Louis of Bengal, and had three children by Johann Herbst, whom she never married.
186. Jan VAN DEN BOSCH m. 28 Mar 1688, in Cape Town, Cape, RSA, Cornelia HELMS, b. 1673.
187. Cornelia HELMS b. 1673.
190. Pierre JAUBERT b. 1665, occupation Farmer, m. 1688, On board the "Berg China", Isabeau RICHARD, b. 1667, d. 1748. Pierre died Jun 1732.
191. Isabeau RICHARD b. 1667, d. 1748. She came from Saint-Martin de la Brasque, Province, France. She was the widow of Pierre Mallan who died while coming out to the Cape on the "Berg China."
He came out to the Cape in 1688 aboard the "Berg China" from la Motte d'Aigues Province, France and settled the farm "La Province" near Franschhoek.
236. Johannes VAN AS He arrived in 1671 from Harlingen, Frieseland, with his wife.
238. Willem Schalk VAN DER MERWE (same person as No. 72 above) m. 9 Sep 1668, Elsje CLOETE, b. Europe. Willem died 12 Jul 1716.
239. Elsje CLOETE (same person as No. 73 above) b. Europe.
244. Friederich BOTH (same person as No. 80 above) b. 4 Mar 1653, Wangenheim, Gotha, Germany, m. 21 Jun 1717, in Stellenbosch, Cape, RSA, Maria KICKERS.
245. Maria KICKERS (same person as No. 81 above).
246. Abraham Bastiaansz PYL and Cornelia CLAASEN, b. 1674. Abraham died 29 Sep 1703.
247. Cornelia CLAASEN b. 1674.
252. Friederich BOTH (same person as No. 80 above) b. 4 Mar 1653, Wangenheim, Gotha, Germany, m. 21 Jun 1717, in Stellenbosch, Cape, RSA, Maria KICKERS.
253. Maria KICKERS (same person as No. 81 above).
254. Schalk VAN DER MERWE (same person as No. 38 above) christ. 13 Aug 1673, m. 1696, Anna PREVOT, b. 1681, Mark, Picardie, France. Schalk died 1740.
255. Anna PREVOT (same person as No. 39 above) b. 1681, Mark, Picardie, France.
332. Jacques DE SAVOYE and Jeanne VAN DER ZEE.
333. Jeanne VAN DER ZEE.
344. Hermann POTGIETER and Schwenne LODDEN.
345. Schwenne LODDEN.
374. Hans HELM and Geertruy WILLEMSE.
375. Geertruy WILLEMSE.
494. Cornelis CLAASEN m. 15 Mar 1676, Catharina from Malabar.
495. Catharina from Malabar.
Return to index page.
For additional information, comments or feedback, please email me.